Don't Stop Learning Now!
Gain access to 3,500 HD videos.
Find Study Help
Watch All Videos FREE for 1 Week
No credit card required.TRY 1 WEEK FREE
Finding an Inverse Algebraically - Problem 6
We know that to take the inverse of a function, we swap x and y and then solve for y. This is true for non-linear functions as well. We need to do the opposite operation to get y alone, which often includes taking a root. If the root has an even index (like square root or fourth root,) we need to look at the given domain restrictions on the original function to determine if the inverse root should be positive or negative. This comes from the idea that the square root of x^2 is actually the absolute value of x.
Transcript Coming Soon!
Tagsfind inverse algebraically
Sample Problems (10)
Need help with a problem?
Watch expert teachers solve similar problems.
- Definition of One-to-One Functions 16,255 views
- Definition of Inverse 12,531 views
- Proving Two Functions are Inverses 13,793 views
- Finding an Inverse Graphically 15,349 views
- Exponential Functions and their Graphs 34,236 views
- Solving Exponential Equations with the 'Same' Base 23,760 views
- Introduction to Logarithms 28,592 views
- Solving Simple Logarithmic Equations 25,055 views
- Function Notation with Logs and Exponentials 13,010 views
- Graph of Logarithmic Functions 25,198 views
- Product Rule of Logarithms 14,520 views
- Quotient Rule of Logarithms 13,973 views
- Power Rule of Logarithms 18,273 views
- Expanding Logarithms 19,435 views
- Condensing Logarithms 23,596 views
- Common and Natural Logarithms 20,117 views
- Change of Base Formula 17,476 views
- Solving Exponential Equations with the Different Bases 59,951 views
- Solving a Logarithmic Equation 23,689 views
- Solving a Logarithmic Equation with Multiple Logs 20,836 views
- Compound Interest (Finite Number of Calculations) 15,913 views
- Compound Interest (Continuously) 15,799 views
- Exponential Growth and Decay 17,565 views
- Evaluating a Logarithmic Expression in terms of Known Quantities 13,723 views