Like what you saw?
Create FREE Account and:
- Watch all FREE content in 21 subjects(388 videos for 23 hours)
- FREE advice on how to get better grades at school from an expert
- Attend and watch FREE live webinar on useful topics
M.Ed., George Washington University
Dept. chair at a high school
Matt is currently the department chair at a high school in San Francisco. In his spare time, Matt enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife and two kids.
Speed refers to the rate at which an object travels. Unlike velocity, speed is a scalar quantity so direction does not matter. Average speed is calculated by dividing distance by time (e.g. miles/hour).
Okay we're going to talk about average speed, instantaneous speed is the distance that you're covering at a specific time. So 100 kilometers an hour, average speed is the total distance you're going to cover over a period of time. Okay this would be, well let's do an example, let's say we drive 150 kilometers in 2 hours stop for an hour, drive 150 kilometers in 2 more hours okay what is our average speed? Okay let's solve that, first we want to go our total distance which is 150 kilometers plus zero kilometers plus 150 kilometers over out total time 2 hours plus 1 hour plus 2 hours. So if we add up our total distance, we get 300 kilometers, our total time is 5 hours and we can simplify that, it's always good to simplify down to 60 kilometers an hour. Okay so that's an example of how you solve a problem or calculating the average speed.
Please enter your name.
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
- Relativity in Motion 24,141 views
- Displacement 18,310 views
- Speed-Instantaneous Speed 13,882 views
- Average Velocity 16,420 views
- Instantaneous Velocity 19,232 views
- Acceleration 17,527 views
- Free Fall 17,852 views
- Graphs of Motion 19,868 views
- Vector Direction 13,107 views
- Vector Quantities - Scalar Quantities 16,240 views
- Velocity Vectors 15,817 views
- Components of Vectors 12,665 views
- Projectile Motion 20,996 views
- Linear Motion 17,150 views
- Parabolic Motion 11,793 views