Like what you saw?
Create FREE Account and:
- Watch all FREE content in 21 subjects(388 videos for 23 hours)
- FREE advice on how to get better grades at school from an expert
- Attend and watch FREE live webinar on useful topics
PhD., University of Maryland
Jonathan is a published author and recently completed a book on physics and applied mathematics.
Potential difference is what we use to generate current and to make it do what we want it to. Batteries serve as a constant source of potential difference in order to force the current to flow.
So what's potential difference? Potential difference is what we use to generate current. It's like a reward for current. The bigger the potential difference, the more current will flow.
So potential difference is used to get us to make current do whatever we want it to do. It's a wonderful wonderful wonderful thing and it's used to drive essentially every circuit. So what is the nice source of potential difference? Well, batteries serve as a constant source of potential difference. When I have a battery that says one and a half volts on it, it means that the potential difference between the negative side and the positive side is one and a half volts. And always is one and a half volts. So if I connect that to a circuit, it will drive the current through the circuit and once the current gets to the other side, it just bumps it up to the top again because it's got to keep that same potential difference, one and a half volts.
So, they drive the circuits by forcing the current to flow and that's potential difference.
Please enter your name.
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
- Conservation of Charge - Electric Charge 27,463 views
- Charge Transfer - Electroscope 19,241 views
- Electric Force - Coulomb's Law 22,655 views
- Electric Fields 21,051 views
- Electric Potential 20,941 views
- Electrons - Quantization of Electric Charge 14,471 views
- Conductors 10,817 views
- Insulators 8,714 views
- Electric Current 18,691 views
- Resistance 10,690 views
- Ohm's Law 15,630 views
- Electric Circuits 14,635 views
- Resistors in Series 12,220 views
- Resistors in Parallel 13,333 views
- Resistor Circuits 11,829 views
- Power 7,595 views
- Capacitors 13,755 views
- Capacitors in Series 11,230 views
- Capacitors in Parallel 9,890 views
- Capacitor Circuits 11,039 views
- RC Circuits 18,394 views