Like what you saw?
Create FREE Account and:
- Watch all FREE content in 21 subjects(388 videos for 23 hours)
- FREE advice on how to get better grades at school from an expert
- Attend and watch FREE live webinar on useful topics
PhD., University of Maryland
Jonathan is a published author and recently completed a book on physics and applied mathematics.
Potential difference is what we use to generate current and to make it do what we want it to. Batteries serve as a constant source of potential difference in order to force the current to flow.
So what's potential difference? Potential difference is what we use to generate current. It's like a reward for current. The bigger the potential difference, the more current will flow.
So potential difference is used to get us to make current do whatever we want it to do. It's a wonderful wonderful wonderful thing and it's used to drive essentially every circuit. So what is the nice source of potential difference? Well, batteries serve as a constant source of potential difference. When I have a battery that says one and a half volts on it, it means that the potential difference between the negative side and the positive side is one and a half volts. And always is one and a half volts. So if I connect that to a circuit, it will drive the current through the circuit and once the current gets to the other side, it just bumps it up to the top again because it's got to keep that same potential difference, one and a half volts.
So, they drive the circuits by forcing the current to flow and that's potential difference.
Please enter your name.
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
- Conservation of Charge - Electric Charge 26,363 views
- Charge Transfer - Electroscope 18,645 views
- Electric Force - Coulomb's Law 22,038 views
- Electric Fields 20,587 views
- Electric Potential 20,397 views
- Electrons - Quantization of Electric Charge 13,791 views
- Conductors 10,587 views
- Insulators 8,505 views
- Electric Current 18,212 views
- Resistance 10,429 views
- Ohm's Law 15,239 views
- Electric Circuits 14,260 views
- Resistors in Series 11,926 views
- Resistors in Parallel 12,992 views
- Resistor Circuits 11,572 views
- Power 7,489 views
- Capacitors 13,351 views
- Capacitors in Series 10,966 views
- Capacitors in Parallel 9,711 views
- Capacitor Circuits 10,780 views
- RC Circuits 17,790 views