Like what you saw?
Create FREE Account and:
- Watch all FREE content in 21 subjects(388 videos for 23 hours)
- FREE advice on how to get better grades at school from an expert
- Attend and watch FREE live webinar on useful topics
PhD., University of Maryland
Jonathan is a published author and recently completed a book on physics and applied mathematics.
Potential difference is what we use to generate current and to make it do what we want it to. Batteries serve as a constant source of potential difference in order to force the current to flow.
So what's potential difference? Potential difference is what we use to generate current. It's like a reward for current. The bigger the potential difference, the more current will flow.
So potential difference is used to get us to make current do whatever we want it to do. It's a wonderful wonderful wonderful thing and it's used to drive essentially every circuit. So what is the nice source of potential difference? Well, batteries serve as a constant source of potential difference. When I have a battery that says one and a half volts on it, it means that the potential difference between the negative side and the positive side is one and a half volts. And always is one and a half volts. So if I connect that to a circuit, it will drive the current through the circuit and once the current gets to the other side, it just bumps it up to the top again because it's got to keep that same potential difference, one and a half volts.
So, they drive the circuits by forcing the current to flow and that's potential difference.
Please enter your name.
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
- Conservation of Charge - Electric Charge 28,366 views
- Charge Transfer - Electroscope 19,677 views
- Electric Force - Coulomb's Law 23,087 views
- Electric Fields 21,330 views
- Electric Potential 21,367 views
- Electrons - Quantization of Electric Charge 15,188 views
- Conductors 11,011 views
- Insulators 8,872 views
- Electric Current 19,047 views
- Resistance 10,851 views
- Ohm's Law 15,891 views
- Electric Circuits 14,854 views
- Resistors in Series 12,475 views
- Resistors in Parallel 13,650 views
- Resistor Circuits 12,014 views
- Power 7,700 views
- Capacitors 14,050 views
- Capacitors in Series 11,376 views
- Capacitors in Parallel 10,006 views
- Capacitor Circuits 11,208 views
- RC Circuits 18,704 views