Like what you saw?
Create FREE Account and:
- Watch all FREE content in 21 subjects(388 videos for 23 hours)
- FREE advice on how to get better grades at school from an expert
- FREE study tips and eBooks on various topics
Line Segments - ConceptFREE
Univ. of Wisconsin
J.D. Univ. of Wisconsin Law school
Brian was a geometry teacher through the Teach for America program and started the geometry program at his school
A line segment is part of a line, has fixed endpoints, and contains all of the points between the two endpoints. One of the most common building blocks of Geometry, line segments form the sides of polygons and appear in countless ways. Therefore, it is crucial to understand how to define and correctly label line segments.
If you had a line -- so if I drew in
arrows which says that they're going
infinitely, and you pick two points on
that line and you said that, wait
a minute, I'm way concerned about the
points that are in between these
two points right here, you would
be creating a line segment.
So line segment is only part of a line,
and it has fixed end points.
And by definition the line segment contains
all the points that are in between
your end points.
So to be more specific, if we had this line
segment right here, A and B, A and
B are your end points.
So I'm going to draw the arrow right there
and write that these are my end points.
And the end points are important because
that's how we label this line segment.
So we're going to call this line segment
A, B and notice I drew a little line
on top of A and B with no arrows which
tell you, the geometry student,
that this is a line segment A, B that
only goes from point A to point
B and contains all the
points in between.
Please enter your name.
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
- Using a Protractor 22,450 views
- Angle Bisectors 18,614 views
- Supplementary and Complementary Angles 27,710 views
- Polygons 18,148 views
- Types of Triangles 23,095 views
- Perimeter 11,969 views
- Parts of a Circle 15,489 views
- Three Undefined Terms: Point, Line, and Plane 70,392 views
- Counterexample 28,587 views
- Writing a Good Definition 18,946 views
- Postulate, Axiom, Conjecture 20,534 views
- Converse 15,926 views
- Rays 26,950 views
- Parallel and Skew Lines 33,571 views
- Midpoints and Congruent Segments 26,833 views
- Parallel Planes and Lines 24,631 views
- Vertex and Diagonals 17,576 views
- Calculating the Midpoint 21,922 views
- Angles: Types and Labeling 26,158 views