Like what you saw?
Create FREE Account and:
- Watch all FREE content in 21 subjects(388 videos for 23 hours)
- FREE advice on how to get better grades at school from an expert
- Attend and watch FREE live webinar on useful topics
Line Segments - ConceptFREE
Univ. of Wisconsin
J.D. Univ. of Wisconsin Law school
Brian was a geometry teacher through the Teach for America program and started the geometry program at his school
A line segment is part of a line, has fixed endpoints, and contains all of the points between the two endpoints. One of the most common building blocks of Geometry, line segments form the sides of polygons and appear in countless ways. Therefore, it is crucial to understand how to define and correctly label line segments.
If you had a line -- so if I drew in
arrows which says that they're going
infinitely, and you pick two points on
that line and you said that, wait
a minute, I'm way concerned about the
points that are in between these
two points right here, you would
be creating a line segment.
So line segment is only part of a line,
and it has fixed end points.
And by definition the line segment contains
all the points that are in between
your end points.
So to be more specific, if we had this line
segment right here, A and B, A and
B are your end points.
So I'm going to draw the arrow right there
and write that these are my end points.
And the end points are important because
that's how we label this line segment.
So we're going to call this line segment
A, B and notice I drew a little line
on top of A and B with no arrows which
tell you, the geometry student,
that this is a line segment A, B that
only goes from point A to point
B and contains all the
points in between.
Stuck on a Math Problem?
Ask Genie for a step-by-step solution
Please enter your name.
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
- Using a Protractor 21,639 views
- Angle Bisectors 17,946 views
- Supplementary and Complementary Angles 26,357 views
- Polygons 17,563 views
- Types of Triangles 21,448 views
- Perimeter 11,695 views
- Parts of a Circle 14,842 views
- Three Undefined Terms: Point, Line, and Plane 67,167 views
- Counterexample 27,911 views
- Writing a Good Definition 18,099 views
- Postulate, Axiom, Conjecture 19,898 views
- Converse 15,405 views
- Rays 25,671 views
- Parallel and Skew Lines 32,332 views
- Midpoints and Congruent Segments 26,052 views
- Parallel Planes and Lines 23,842 views
- Vertex and Diagonals 16,602 views
- Calculating the Midpoint 21,303 views
- Angles: Types and Labeling 25,170 views