Don't Stop Learning Now!
Gain access to 3,500 HD videos.
Find Study Help
Watch All Videos FREE for 1 Week
No credit card required.TRY 1 WEEK FREE
Finding an Inverse Graphically - Problem 1 2,962 views
Finding the inverse of a function graphically. So remember in order for a function to have an inverse it has to be one to one. So the first thing we always want to look for is a function one-to-one for every x is there one y for every y is there one x? And then once we pass that what we want to do is flip our graph over the line y equals x.
And so for a little demonstration, what I have here is a little graph. We have our x axis, our y axis and this dotted line is y equals x. This function is one-to-one we can check with the vertical and horizontal line test and what ends up happening is when we flip over the line y equal x everything above the graph gets flipped down and everything below the graph gets flipped up. What you end up with is your new graph of your inverse.
So in general I wouldn’t recommend you making a little picture for every single one but this a little demonstration as to going from the function to an inverse graphically.
Please enter your name.
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Sample Problems (3)
Need help with a problem?
Watch expert teachers solve similar problems.
- Definition of One-to-One Functions 16,277 views
- Definition of Inverse 12,544 views
- Finding an Inverse Algebraically 18,544 views
- Proving Two Functions are Inverses 13,814 views
- Exponential Functions and their Graphs 34,262 views
- Solving Exponential Equations with the 'Same' Base 23,789 views
- Introduction to Logarithms 28,606 views
- Solving Simple Logarithmic Equations 25,080 views
- Function Notation with Logs and Exponentials 13,017 views
- Graph of Logarithmic Functions 25,226 views
- Product Rule of Logarithms 14,544 views
- Quotient Rule of Logarithms 13,994 views
- Power Rule of Logarithms 18,284 views
- Expanding Logarithms 19,474 views
- Condensing Logarithms 23,638 views
- Common and Natural Logarithms 20,154 views
- Change of Base Formula 17,500 views
- Solving Exponential Equations with the Different Bases 60,078 views
- Solving a Logarithmic Equation 23,727 views
- Solving a Logarithmic Equation with Multiple Logs 20,860 views
- Compound Interest (Finite Number of Calculations) 15,929 views
- Compound Interest (Continuously) 15,820 views
- Exponential Growth and Decay 17,593 views
- Evaluating a Logarithmic Expression in terms of Known Quantities 13,748 views